Admission & Enrollment

Your application was successful? Congratulations!
Read here how to become a registered student at RPTU.

The Welcome Center on the Landau campus supports you during your application, upon arrival and with your enrollment at RPTU and throughout your studies in Landau.

Once your application has been successfully assessed in the respective department, our Registration Office will issue a letter of admission and send it to you by e-mail. You can use the PDF to apply for your visa (if applicable).

The admission letter provides information on the next steps:

  • To which degree program you have been admitted, 
  • Which documents you need to hand in to enroll,
  • The deadline for the enrollment,
  • In case of a conditional letter, which seminar/exam you need to take during your first semester.

If you wish to accept the place offered to you at the university, please send your e-mail to international(at)

During our Welcome Days at the beginning of the semester, we will guide you through the individual steps. An online enrollment is not possible.

  • Health insurance
    • You can take out a health insurance after your arrival in Landau.
    • Some students prefer to take out a contract already from home with insurance companies who offer this service online or who are cooperating with blocked account providers.
    • Students from EU countries are usually insured through their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). An additional insurance contract is normally not necessary.
    • Every student needs to contact one of the public health insurance companies in Germany and ask them to send the M10 notification to RPTU.
    • More information about the health insurance are gathered on this website.
  • Semester contribution
    • The amount can be transferred by bank transfer only. A payment in cash or by credit card is not possible.
    • You can transfer the semester contribution after your arrival in Landau, during our Welcome Days.
    • It is also possible to transfer the amount from home. Please, be aware that there is usually a fee for international bank transfers, which will be deducted from the amount you transfer. Make sure you add the fee to the amount you transfer. 
    • Please, bring a receipt (in paper or by e-mail).
  • Further documents
    • Your letter of admission will state if further documents are required, e.g., your bachelor's degree certificate in case you have finished your bachelor's after your application only.
    • Please, be prepared to show the hard copies of your application documents. 

The Welcome Center will gather all documents from you and forward them to the Registration Office, where the enrollment will be processed. You will receive an enrollment confirmation (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) from us afterwards and can then proceed to register a university e-mail account and apply for the UniCard during our Welcome Days.

  • The semester contribution is not a fee but a social contribution, which every student who is enrolled at a university in Germany, has to pay. At RPTU in Landau, the semester contribution currently amounts to 170.30 euro for summer semester 2023 and 180.30 for the winter semester 2023/24.
  • The semester contribution is shared between student union AStA in Landau, the student services (Studierendenwerk) in Landau and contribution to the partial semester ticket.
  • It is due every semester of your enrollment at the university.
  • The amount is subject to change. The current amount and bank details and further information on the re-enrollment are published here


The semester contribution you transfer in order to enroll covers a 10-euro-fee for your UniCard, your student ID card (Studierendenausweis). 

Once you have enrolled, we will guide you on how to register your university ID. You can then request your UniCard by uploading a biometric photo.

The UniCard will be sent to your postal address in Germany within one to two weeks after you requested it.

It is valid for one semester and needs to be re-validated every semester after you re-enrolled.

We recommend that you carry it with you all the time. The UniCard is a multi-purpose card fulfilling the following requirements:

It certifies your status as a student. Your name, matriculation number, and photograph provide enough identity proof when required. You are required to have it with you when you take exams.

Your UniCard (your student ID card) serves as a partial semester ticket, which is valid Mon to Fri nights 19:00 pm to 5:00 am and all day on weekends (Sat, Sun) and bank holidays.  Please, be aware your UniCard needs to be validated! The partial semester ticket allows you to use buses and regional trains (RE, RB, but not ICE, IC or EC!) within a defined area of the VRN net and the KVV net. Mind that public holidays can vary from federal state to federal state and your partial semester ticket can be valid, e.g., on All Saints day 1 November in Rhineland-Palatinate, but not in the neighbouring federal state of Hesse, which is also covered by the partial semester ticket.

If you want to use the public transport on a regular basis outside these times, you can opt for a full semester ticket which is available at DB selling booths, e.g., at the main station in Landau, but also online. Depending on where you are living or where you regularly need to travel, you either opt for a VRN or a KVV semester ticket (ca. 185 euro).

The semester ticket covers an area  from Zweibrücken to Heidelberg, but also Alzey, Worms, and even Würzburg in Bavaria. Please, have your passport with you, which is usually asked for when your semester ticket is checked by VRN or KVV staff on the train or bus. The map shows the area in which the partial and the full semester ticket are valid.

If you are enrolled as a PhD student, you can request a UniCard as well and benefit from the partial semester ticket or opt for a full semester ticket offered by VRN and KVV. 

Please find more information about the area of validity of your student card as well as tips on reading the timetable and general information here.

The UniCard can be used as a prepaid card to pay for your food in the canteen  or cafeteria. You can top up your UniCard with a certain amount of money and every time you visit the canteen or cafeteria, the appropriate amount will be deducted from your balance.

Find more information about the student canteen (Mensa) and cafeteria, opening hours, the weekly menue, location etc. here

Residents in the student halls use their UniCard to pay for using the washing machines and dryers.

  • The RPTU Kaiserslautern-Landau provides excellent computer facilities. With your student account you can log in to numerous computers (building E III, rooms  40 and 043) and you have access to the Internet and storage space for your files. The PC-pool is open Mon - Fri 7 am - 7 pm, except on bank holidays. To access the PC-pool outside these office hours, please contact the URZ-support-center in their office in building E III, room 48. Office hours: 

    Mon - Tue 08:00 am - 11:30 am, 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm
    Fri 08:00 am - 1:30 pm

  • You can also use this account from your computer or notebook at home if you have Internet access!
  • Furthermore, you will receive emails within the university via your email address

This card has a barcode on its reverse which is used for your library membership. The data about the books you have borrowed, the due date of return of the books and similar information can be retrieved from the databank of the library simply by using this barcode. The default password is your date of birth. With your student ID you can use the university's central library in building 32, which provides:

  • an information center
  • an overview of courses on how to use the library effectively
  • a reading room with daily and weekly press
  • general reference works, bibliographies, encyclopedias, and textbooks

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sat.: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sun: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm

Service: Mon - Fri: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm